Wing Commander - Privateer Gemini Gold

News Files Images Forum Faq Credits

Forum

posted: 11 Dec 2012, 19:40

I would like to submit a better map. I don't seem to have the ability to create an attachment, so I'll just link to it elsewhere.

This map not only shows the systems, but what types of bases are in the systems as well, and is quite legible even at higher resolutions. Much better than other maps I have run across. I just couldn't stand looking at the other maps any longer, so decided to take matters into my own hands this week.

Gemini Map

Gemini Map version 2 - Contains coordinate grid and a list of all systems on the left listed alphabetically, with the coordinates for that system next to it. (For faster reference.)

Let me know if anything needs fixing on this map. Or, optionally, let me know if you want the XCF file so you can make changes yourself.
Last edited by Daniel on 18 Dec 2012, 15:37, edited 1 time in total.
Daniel

posted: 13 Dec 2012, 06:57

SPOILER ALERT for those who have not played the game; it shows the secret bases as well which do not appear on the official maps.
HerrKoos

posted: 13 Dec 2012, 11:17

well, it's not in "pure" Priv style... will definitely look artificial to the game

personally, I don't need any map at all cause I remember everything)
podbelski

posted: 13 Dec 2012, 13:50

Yes, it's a spoiler. But infact I made a similar map for myself... :) So for someone who already knows the game it might be of help. Thanks for the effort.
Andy

posted: 13 Dec 2012, 14:49

I've completed the game so many times I can't count how many times I have. For me, I like to know where everything is when I'm mapping out runs between systems for buying and selling, and this helps. While I could remember where everything was when I played the original game when it first came out, I'm a bit older now, and the memory isn't as good as it was 15-20 years ago.

Of course, I could move all the "Pirate Bases" to another layer in GIMP, as well as paths and jump points that you don't find until later, to make "progressive" maps for those that don't want the spoilers. Glad to do it if anyone is interested.

No, it's not "pure" to the original game, because it doesn't look like the maps on the map screen in the original game, but I've only seen one map that does, and it isn't easy for my older, tired eyes to read. The concept here was to make it easy to read, easier to locate systems, with decent antialiasing to keep it from looking choppy.

I created it with the "Gemini Sector" watermarking because I was thinking of "completing" the map later with "sector-to-sector" jumps, putting in the Gemini system, and creating matching maps for other sectors as I get them created. For now, this will have to do. I don't have a lot of free time, so the others may never get done, which is the only reason I didn't include the extra jump paths to start with. It was a fun diversion from everyday life though.
Daniel

posted: 13 Dec 2012, 16:08

I initially thought you somehow plan to insert your map into the game, thats why talked about purity.
It's really cool, handy and accurate as a "side tool". We can distribute it along with my patch if you don't mind)
podbelski

posted: 13 Dec 2012, 19:59

podbelski wrote:I initially thought you somehow plan to insert your map into the game, thats why talked about purity.

Ah, no. Just wanted a separate map to display on my 2nd monitor while I was flying on my 1st monitor. ;)

podbelski wrote:It's really cool, handy and accurate as a "side tool". We can distribute it along with my patch if you don't mind)

I don't mind at all. Permission granted to do whatever you'd like to do with it.
Daniel

posted: 14 Dec 2012, 06:46

Nice work, by the way. This is a very useful tool. I keep a printed Gemini sector map in my "cockpit" at all times, along with a commodities list. :D
HerrKoos

posted: 15 Dec 2012, 06:36

Daniel wrote:I created it with the "Gemini Sector" watermarking because I was thinking of "completing" the map later with "sector-to-sector" jumps, putting in the Gemini system, and creating matching maps for other sectors as I get them created. For now, this will have to do. I don't have a lot of free time, so the others may never get done, which is the only reason I didn't include the extra jump paths to start with. It was a fun diversion from everyday life though.

This could work for WCU which would expand beyond gemini. So long as the maps are as close to canon as possible go ahead and make all the maps you want :)

How much of the WC universe actually CAN be mapped out anyway...
pheonixstorm

posted: 18 Dec 2012, 15:43

I have created a new version of the map. I edited the first post to add this new version. It creates a grid coordinate system A through H and 1 through 8, with a list of all the systems alphabetically along with their coordinates to help you find that system you almost never visit and can never remember where to look for it on the map. (I have that problem at times, since I play only occasionally and not regularly.)

pheonixstorm wrote:This could work for WCU which would expand beyond gemini. So long as the maps are as close to canon as possible go ahead and make all the maps you want :)

That was the idea. Maps would only come as fast as I can find time, which is pretty scarce with a 2 year old and 2 month old in the house.

pheonixstorm wrote:How much of the WC universe actually CAN be mapped out anyway...

That's the real challenge. Not all of it, but much more than I originally thought. Most of it is in the universe.xml file, but that doesn't contain all the data necessary. Have to refer to the canon and glean as much from the different sources to be able to put it together, and try not to get what goes where mixed up with different time periods. I want the "time" to remain consistent with the Privateer time period, and not what came before or after that if possible.
Daniel

Return to New Detroit Com Link