Wing Commander - Privateer Gemini Gold

News Files Images Forum Faq Credits

Forum

posted: 30 Mar 2012, 01:04

I have download and installed Privateergold1.03 as administrator. When I launch the program nothing happens but I do see the executable in my process list. I have even tried to launch the application as administrator aswell plus I put it in compatability mode XP SP3. I cannot seem to figure this out. Assistance would be great.
shatarie

posted: 31 Mar 2012, 19:46

Not sure what to say on this one. For the most part the vegastrike engine (which is what gemini gold is based on) is not very chummy with 64 bit windows. Its an ongoing issue that hasn't been nailed down yet. A lot of the crashes on the 32bit side I have not been able to reproduce.

As for 64bit.. I'm still working on getting a 64bit exe ready for release. I am hoping that John can help get gemini gold running off the latest vegastrike code so we can keep this game up to date.

If you don't mind some non cannon items you can try Privateer Parallel Universe ( http://pu.wcjunction.com/ ) the code is a little more updated but also hasn't been worked on in awhile as its project admin has a lot of RL issues to deal with at the moment. If you try PU and still have issues post over on the vegastrike forums and we will see if we can't get some working for you (if no one is able to help here). http://forums.vega-strike.org
pheonixstorm

posted: 31 Mar 2012, 20:08

That's strange - I have GG running on Windows 7-64 bit without any issues at all. Only advice I would have would be to not run the game in full-screen. Sometimes it doesn't like that. Plus, if it locks up, you can see an error message in Windows that you can't get to when you're in full screen.
Kenner

posted: 01 Apr 2012, 13:42

I have an update. The error happens only when audio is enabled whether it be sound and music or any combination. My audio is nothing special, simply integrated audio namely "Nvidia high definition audio". Is there a workaround for this, or should I simply leave it disabled? By the way, thank you to whomever for creating the project, it is a really neat concept.
shatarie

posted: 04 Apr 2012, 06:28

I wonder if thats related to the sound issue we found awhile back with vega-strike. There was an issue with the openal drivers that had a nasty bug? that was causing several commercial games to crash out. http://forums.vega-strike.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=16127 it may fix your problem or it could just be unrelated. I haven't had any sound issues myself so if I can't reproduce, its hard to fix :(
pheonixstorm

posted: 04 Apr 2012, 21:42

I was thinking about getting a new sound card anyway. What card do we know works properly with the software. I was thinking about a modest card such as SOund Blaster Xi Titanium for example.
shatarie

posted: 04 Apr 2012, 21:53

Update: Thank you pheonixstorm. By renaming wrap_oal.dll and openal32.dll, this fixed the issue as I now have sound and it does not crash. Good call and thank you again. :D
shatarie

posted: 04 Apr 2012, 23:55

Maybe try the SVN version of the game? There were some sound issues that were fixed in one of the last number of updates in the development version. Could allow the game to run with sound enabled. :?
Kenner

Return to New Detroit Com Link