Wing Commander - Privateer Gemini Gold

News Files Images Forum Faq Credits

Forum

posted: 21 Feb 2012, 13:51

Hi all.

At first a really big thank you for all your work from Germany. I loved WC Privateer back when I was young and still consider it as one of the best games ever. I stumbled across Gemini Gold while looking for an Sci-Fi Multi-Player-Online-Game, instantly downloaded and played it two nights... :) Of course it is not what I was looking for but nonetheless it brings up so much memories and I really love the work you guys have done so far...

But one question. You managed to model all ships and bases in 3d, but it seems, you took all static graphics (as hangar screens, ship dealer, bar and so on) 1-to-1 from the original game. That makes them look very pixellated, allthough I still like the comic-like style. Did you ever consider upscaling these graphics using a professional upscaling tool as e.g. "genuine fractals" or similar? Maybe that would enhanche the look of your game a lot and finally attract much more players... ;)

All the best from Germany!
Andy
Andy

posted: 05 Mar 2012, 14:56

+1 - I can't do this, but I wish someone did!

By the way, would it be hard to change the radar display showing other vessels' shield strength back to the traditional non-curvy style? And remove the decimals in the distance field?
Balu

posted: 05 Mar 2012, 19:03

Privateer Gemini Gold is supposed to be a more updated replica of the original. I don't know how far John wanted to go with updating the static graphics beyond the 1990s look.

I do believe some attempt was made to increase the resolution of some of the base images to make them look better though I don't know if that was for all of them or just a select few.

While earlier versions were still using low resolution base interiors, we are bringing to you now Privateer for the first time ever in an SVGA resolution with 32 bit color depth. Other important improvents are the recreation of almost all original base computer interfaces and an overall better game balance.

you can find that in the news section. It was part of the 1.02 release. If anyone can make some high res base art from the exsisting material or even recreate it go for it. Submit it and hopefully it will get included in the next release.
pheonixstorm

posted: 06 Mar 2012, 00:01

Is there any way to get the original graphics without making screenshots using DOSbox?
Balu

posted: 09 Mar 2012, 04:00

There are programs floating around the net that can pull out the sound, graphics, icons, etc from a file. Its been a long while since i've had to do this myself. Google is your friend and can find nearly anything you want :)
pheonixstorm

Return to New Detroit Com Link