Here you can download the latest version (3.01 !)
of my tweak/fix pack for the Privateer Gemini Gold game.
FWIW, there are thousands of downloads in total ANNOUNCEMENT: there might be few more v3.xx updates later. Less important but interesting aspects are going to be addressed. I'm just still not in a mood to tackle these things.The pack is about two big things:
• fixes a sick ton of bugs, making the game much more playable and closer to the original Privateer. IMO, there is no point in playing PGG without this pack at all!
• makes slight enhancements that improve the gameplay but preserve the spirit of the good old Priv.Installation
Just download and extract the archive contents into your Privateer Gemini Gold folder, overwrite when asked.
You can also extract the files over a PGG with an earlier tweak pack version installed, there will be no problems.
Old saves will work, but your ship will stay unchanged by the pack, unless you sell it and buy a new one.
The game might crash if you load a savegame that was made while on a mission and something related to this mission type was significantly changed by the pack. So better finish all active missions, save, and update after that.Additional recommendations
I strongly advice making the following changes to your vegastrike.config
(it is in the game installation folder).1.
Make tractoring work much closer to the original game:<var name="percent_to_tractor" value="1"/>
<var name="tractor.scoop_angle" value="10."/>2.
Turn on the Shelton Slide, see PGG manual for details how to use it. It is not available in original Privateer, but IMO improves gaming experience quite a lot. Also, you will have tough time fighting quick enemies w/o the slide, they will constantly hang on your back and shoot with impunity.
The following binds the slide to the "space" key:<bind key="space" modifier="none" command="SheltonKey"/>
Ensure no other binding for "space" exists, and that original Shelton key binding removed or replaced.3.
If you run the setup and don't see the resolution you need, find the "#cat Resolution" line in the top of the file, type in the missing numbers and then run setup again.
For instance, this adds Full HD to the default list:#cat Resolution 800x600 1920x10804.
The ITTS function of radars is glitchy. But now it's easily 'repairable':
- if the aim is visible but stopped working (eg, after reload): while in space, turn off the tractor beam (if exists), then land anywhere and take off.
- if the aim is totally disappeared (very rare): press 'k', ensure the radar became damaged, then wait till repaired by a droid, then land/take off5.
Escort missions: after using the autopilot, the escorted ship will sometimes try to stray away from the route. I don't know the cause, looks like I can't fix it. But the ship will eventually change it's mind.
If you don't like to wait just communicate something, it usually helps (while he is in front of you and targeted, press "1").Detailed info about changes
can be found within the pack archive, look through the following files if you are curious:Pods PGG tweak pack vX.xx.doc
Also, file gemini_map_v2.png
contains the map of the Gemini sector taken from here
.Brief list of changes is below
1. Modified most ships you encounter in one or another way
2. Reworked trading really hard
3. Adjusted prices for a number of equipment
4. Fixed a TON of bugs in different parts of the game, including campaign bugs and adjustments
5. Guns, armor, missiles now balanced somewhat differently
6. Reworked the algorithm of random encounters
7. Massive rework of computer and guild missions
8. Orion is a decent fighter with 3 gun mounts. If you like the challenge, try to finish both campaigns flying it!
This topic covers all the change history. Feel free to comment, report a bug or give a suggestion what to improve.