Wing Commander - Privateer Gemini Gold

News Files Images Forum Faq Credits

Forum

posted: 21 Jun 2017, 12:39

Hey Apgu,

I've cancelled your first duplicate posts, only the last one remains.

Thanks for your feedback, I hope you continue to enjoy the game despite some drawbacks.

Regarding the afterburner, I'm not sure what do you exactly suggest, what's the final purpose of those tweaks. And atm I don't remember if I've tried to change the value you mentioned, so I don't know if it gives any impact at all...
podbelski

posted: 22 Jun 2017, 02:50

Hi Podbelski:

After some profitable trade cargo from New Detroit to supply our front-line bases against Kirathi, I decided to keep the current settings of Afterburners from PGG and your tweak. After all, I'm a civilian pilot in a Tarsus trying to survive and earn my Orion right now. 8)

I've spent some time to search the posts regarding the AI, afterburners, speed of crafts, speed of projectiles in this forum yesterday. Then I realize that the reason why I didn't feel comfortable at first... The AI from original Privateer is "actually" bad, they don't know how to make use of their advantages (including afterburners), and my memory about this game comes from that.

So, thanks again for your work on missions and trades. Now we can have new and decent ways to achieve our goals, by trades and cargo missions. The feeling to fly over fleet battles between Kirathi and Confederate... trying to get the job done with minimum damages to my Tarsus, is really quite exciting. I may not feel this way in original Privateer, since I may kill all those cats by using my Tarsus with 20 torpedoes and two tachyon guns then.

Just FYI, through you may already know it, I thought only two keys use the value defined in "Afterburner_Usage_Cost". They are "afterburner__upgrades" and "afterburner_generic__upgrades". The value for crafts are meant to prohibit players using of afterburners before buying afterburner upgrades.

Regarding original Privateer settings of Orion, I was wondering when I was a kid... Why a gunship of that size with so many huge engines has poor accelerations/speed, poor armaments and a small cargo hold.

If things goes well, I may purchase a fully upgraded Orion within this week, even though I have few times to play this game. Cool! :D

Happy landings!
apgu

posted: 22 Jun 2017, 11:38

Btw regarding the Orion, I haven't touched cargo volume, you can do it if you wish (ask for help if you can't figure out how, but I guess it's not hard).

And the ship still does not feel like an invulnerable fortress despite the best shields available. But for my taste it's more durable than in original Priv. It's really good and fun, but certainly worse than Centurion, and it will be noticeably harder to complete the campaign flying the Orion. Most missions will not be tough, but a few will certainly make you sweat a lot))
podbelski

posted: 26 Jun 2017, 15:56

Hi Podbelski:

I've purchased an Orion and so far I'm quite satisfied with your tweaks on her.
Though I think it is reasonable to increase her Max Afterburner SPD to 1000.
After all all other crafts, except Galaxy and Tarsus (while they're merchants' crafts), has minimum AB MAX SPD of 1000.
As for Centurion, may be it is good to increase her AB MAX SPD to 1100 or higher. She is fast, effective, and expensive.

I haven't played Righteous Fire before. May be my feeling about the AB SPD would change after I played RF. I heard that there're so many new upgrades (SPD, acceleration, cooler, auto-tracking) there.

But anyway, I'm happy with her performance now. For now I'm using lvl 5 reactor with lvl 4 shield. I'm happy that I can fire my three particle cannons continuously. From my point, your guns tweaks, which are based on their prices seems quite balanced. Neutron is a little bit underpowered... May be that is the trend of this universe. No other crafts use them, no old players used to use them I think...:lol:

I've encountered the ITTS issue, too. For me, I've tired to turn off tractor before I buy hunter's ITTS radar, yet I still have to takeoff, turn off tractor then landed every time I start or load the game. I hope this can be fixed, yet I can live with that. :D

For now I decide not to change any line of your tweaks and Gemini Gold's settings, and hopes that I can complete all campaigns this time. 8)

Best wishes and happy hunting!
apgu

posted: 27 Jun 2017, 12:56

Hi All:

My 2 cents for ITTS issues. Base on the tweak of Podbelski, I modified the mount type of my tractor to Medium-missile ( or any other missile types of mounts may also works I think) in the weapon_list and my orion.begin files.

By doing so, the tractor beam will become a missile weapon, and thus the ITTS will not consider it is a gun anymore. So I don't have to takeoff, turn off my tractor beam and land every time I start or load Gemini Gold.

The drawback of this way is, when you want to stop the tractor beam, it will not stop firing before I fire my guns. And of course, as far as I remembered, it is not the way tractor beams worked in original Privateer. :roll:

This workaround is, I think, the original way of tractor beams work in Vega Strike Engine. I don't know if there is a way to solve the "continuous firing" of my missile mounted tractor beam.

May be I will continue my campaign in Gemini Sector this way. :wink:

Happy hunting!
apgu

posted: 29 Jun 2017, 10:58

Hey, thanks for the feedback!

1. AFAIR, some equipment from RF expansion does not work :-(

2. Neutron gun deals almost as much damage as Plasma gun, but is a clumsy weapon so it's cheap. I just could not find anything else to distinguish these guns, you know it was hard to make every gun unique in some way and strictly correspond to its price. These guns installed on hunters' Orions.

3. I've tried to find a way to fix ITTS but failed, seems it's related to the Vegastrike engine... The workaround you suggested is an interesting trade-off, I'll try it if I'll be in a mood to play PGG again :-)
podbelski

posted: 05 Jul 2017, 09:43

Hi Podbelski and all privateers:

I've almost completed my privateer campaign with Podbelski's tweaked Orion.
The battle with Miggs and the final mission of Palan blockage is quite impressive with Orion. For Miggs, my Orion is not fully upgraded then. For Palan, well, that's really a HUGE battle. I win it without landing on Palan, with huge damages.

So I decided to buy some RF improvement via old shop interface in advance since I have some extra credits to do so. I don't feel I'm a serious cheater to buy these upgrade at this moment, since the AI is improved a lot from Original Privateer. And I have to prepared my self for the evil "green drone". 8)

Before I do that, I've do some investigations about shield generator and thrust enhancer, by using my orion.begin file. Though I have't tried the parameters via shop interface, yet I thought my experiment may have some meaning for this game...

The reason why we can't feel something improved about thrust enhancer may be, the improvement on the accelerations is no that much compared to the ships' original acceleration values. The original ones are, maybe, good enough for us. So we may not notice that.

After checking some old documents about original RF, I thought that the function of thrust enhancer might be actually improve the turning rates and turning radius of our crafts. So I multiply the value of angular accelerations, turn rate governors of thrust enhancer by 1.18. I don't feel my turning performance improve so much, yet it may has been improved a little bit, from my testing so far... Since thrust enhancer is not an expensive one, I expect some minor improvement would be enough, if there is REALLY some improvement after my tweaking...

As for the shield, well, it look obviously for me since I've test the shield recharge from 0.4 to 4 in my Orion.begin file, and the rate is quite impressive.
Of course it is a huge cheat and I won't flying my Orion this way, yet it may show that the reason why shield recharger won't work. The base values of shield regenerations is WAY TOO LOW, so even we multiply them by 1.25, it changes from 0.4 VSD/SEC to 0.5 VSD/SEC, while the VSD of LVL 5 shield is 50 VSD...

So the solutions may exist by changing the base shield regeneration values.
I thought it may be worth trying. I would like to try equal ratio of the following lvl to previous lvl for shield generations of, says 1.05 for lvl 2 and lvl 3, lvl 5 and lvl 6, lvl 8 and lvl 9. For lvl 4 and lvl 7, the ratio would be, says 1.5. The base value of lvl 1 shield is 0.39 and unchanged.

The shield regenerator upgrade may have ratio of 1.25 to 1.5 then...

I don't know if these value would make some ships or capital ships too overpowered. So far I never have intentions to shoot down a capital ship, I would rather run. :lol:
Or I may l just keep the shield regenerations of lvl 8 and lvl 9 equal to lvl 7... :twisted:
Will the Orions become overpowered this way? (Though I didn't mean to over-buff my Orion.) I may need some time to prove if it works or not...
apgu

posted: 05 Jul 2017, 10:50

Hey, nice findings there!

regarding shield regeneration rates, probably it's better to keep original values for shields as changing them might unbalance the game in many ways... If I've got you right, we can just put a big value into regenerator's rate instead, and it will make a noticeable impact even for "vanilla" shield generators.

regarding the thrust enhancer, try to put very big numbers (like 5, or 10, or 50) and see if there is any improvement in turn rates. I have a feeling I've tried it a few years ago and there was no effect...
podbelski

posted: 05 Jul 2017, 14:25

Hi Podbelski:

I've found something new, and maybe it is the key! (I hopes so!)
After some incredible parameters I've put on thrust enhancer in my unit.csv, I found that I couldn't buy it anymore from the old shop interface!
You've knew that I've put and tested a crazy parameter on my shield recharge rate in my orion.begin and it worked then.

So I begin to wondering why this happened and made a wild guess that the top-limit of mult_ series upgrades may limit by the parameters defined in "mult_general_upgrade__upgrades" line. I modified that and boom! Now I can purchase the my heavy-modified thrust enhancer now via old shop interface! 8)

I would like to test it later, or maybe tomorrow.
I can't be sure now since I haven't really advanced into RF campaign and didn't use the traditional Privateer shop interface you've tweaked to buy the RF upgrades.
Maybe it is the key reason why your hard-works on thrust enhancer and shield regenerator didn't work then, if the top-limit is really defined in the Mult_general line, is it possible that player can buy them via traditional Privateer shop interface, yet the VS engine didn't count them at all ?

I don't know if I was right now. Right or wrong, I hope it may help since you know the codes and the game balance much better than I do...

Best wishes!
apgu

posted: 05 Jul 2017, 15:17

Hi Podbelski:

Here comes some possible good news, I've test my thrust enhancer (multiply 4.18 on all accelerations, angular accelerations and turn rate governors) and my shield generators (multiply 5.25 on the shield recharge), they all works via VS old shop interface.

Well... with these two upgrades with my lvl 5 shield and already working speed enhancer... I select 2 hard pirate attack mission with reward of 10XXX each at the same nav point from my archived save file, I can beat all of these pirate (16-20 talons maybe?) without using any missile... just turn like a devil, gun them down and ram them out, with such agility and shield regeneration, I win this without any scratch on my lovely Orion... 8)

OK, it just a fun test and I really cheated too far for testing. (Though I had to admit I'm really enjoy during this test! :lol: )
I thought that I just proved the possibilities to bring the shield generators and thrust (focus on turn?) enhancer back to Gemini Gold. At least via the old VS shop interface...

BTW, if my wild guess so far is correct, maybe not only the top-limit from general upgrade shall be modified, but also the the limit from general downgrade shall be modified. In case of player sell or lose their mult_ series upgrades, I guessed. (And same logic may also applied the add_ series upgrades?)

Best wishes!
apgu

PreviousNext

Return to New Detroit Com Link