I was hoping to edit the saved game file to kick start the game a little bit but after a lot of searching I wasn't able to do it. The problem turned out to be my lack of familiarity with how Mac's do their business. I'm using Snow Leopard.
So if you want to edit your saved games... the first thing you do is to unhide them.
1. Open Terminal
2. enter this command "defaults write com.apple.Finder AppleShowAllFiles YES"
3. Option-Click and hold the Finder application. Click "relaunch". You need to do this to make the command take effect.
Now you'll notice all sorts of previously hidden files are visible.
4. Go to your home folder. That is, whatever username you're logged into's main folder.
5. BOOM - you will now see the ".privgold100" folder
6. Inside that folder you'll find another folder called "SAVE"
7. Here are all your saved games. Open them in TextEdit.app
You should see "Gemini/Troy^2000.000000^tarsus.begin"
Change the ^2000.000000 to the credits that you want.
8. When you're done enter "defaults write com.apple.Finder AppleShowAllFiles NO" into the terminal and relaunch it to get things back to normal.